Eighty percent rule plays a big part in the functioning of our society, and it is no different when it comes to sports coaching.
For the eighty percent rule is basically that 20% of your customers, spend 80% of the money, or 20% of the people will do eighty percent of the work. It’s a figure that pops up again, and again, and again.
80/20 Rule Explained
So how does this eighty percent rule apply to coaching?
As one does more research and has practical experience in coaching, 3 common aspects keep coming to the fore in the coaching process, with them being:
With understanding people being the standard bearer, for depending on the level and age one is working with, the fitness and cores skills aspects will vary in the application and time spent on them.
For example, working with 4 to 6 year olds, the fitness component won’t be as big, though building the core skills into them will be, and obviously the higher up one progresses, the fitness component becomes a bigger and bigger part.
So what constitutes the other 20% of the equation? They’re things like your key skills, the techniques, the tactics, structural play, name anything, put it in this section.
So if one wants to quickly improve ones coaching, begin from the 80%, it’s where one will make the biggest strides in their development, and then as one progresses, you’ll spend more time expanding out ones knowledge, understanding and application of the remaining 20%.
80% of coaching is made up from fitness, core skills and understanding people, yet in most of our coaching understanding and training, we focus mainly on the 20% at the expense of the 80%